Sunday, December 9, 2012

Let Minnesota Be Minnesota

photo of snow covered deck
© harrington
This is about what the deck looks like this morning. It was a fine morning for baking scones, so that's what I did. There's a deep satisfaction in the physical activity required for baking, whether from scratch or using a prepackaged mix. It's a nice alternative, a counterweight, to the miniscule physical activity required for talking or typing, which is what I spend many of my waking hours doing. Later today there will be a flurry of activity (sorry, I couldn't resist) as we blow the snow from the driveway and shovel it from the deck. It's approaching forty years since I moved to Minnesota. In that time, there have been many changes, most for the better. Having My Minnesota's climate become more like Missouri's, as it seems to be doing, isn't a change for the better as I see it. I remember being attracted to Minnesota because it had the reputation of being a state that worked. At that time, the Metro Council was THE national leader in metropolitan governance (not the same as metro government). Minnesotan's were at worst tolerant of paying the taxes needed to support equitable, economic and effective public education. We got our streets plowed on time. There was a spirit of cooperation that I'm hard pressed to find these days. Isn't it time we went back to the future? (Thanks to my daughter for suggesting today's theme. The rants are all mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment