Sunday, February 17, 2013

... a good life

photo of Gimaajii Mino-Bimaadiziyaan Builing, formerly Duluth YWCA
© harrington
Thanks for stopping by. Today's post is a rave, not a rant. I hope that doesn't disappoint you. I know you can't quite read it, but the street sign in the center of today's photo reads "Second Street." The large building behind the street sign you can't read is the American Indian Community Housing Organization's Gimaajii Mino-Bimaadiziyaan (an Ojibwe phrase that means, “Together we are beginning a good life.”) supportive housing conversion of the old Duluth YWCA. In addition to  supportive housing, an American Indian Center is part of the development effort. On March 2, AICHO will be hosting a book launch event for Al Hunter’s “Beautiful Razor” at Trepanier Hall,  212 W 2nd Street,  right next door to Gimaajii Mino Bimaadiziiwin building. Louise Erdrich, writes, ‘Al Hunter’s poems are healing songs for the earth and the human spirit.  For the sake of the moon, for the sake of our hearts, I am glad that he is writing.”

According to the invitation I received, the event is free and open to the public.  Books will be available for purchase during the book signing and reception. 
Doors open at 6:00 PM
Performance: 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Book signing/Reception: 8:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Guest musicians will include:
Kathy McTavish, Cello
Michael "Waabi" Furo, Pedal Steel
Larissa Desrosier, Guitar, Vocals
Jake Vainio, Electric & Acoustic Guitars, Piano

Event contact:  Nicole at 218-722-7225
[Full disclosure: I was involved in the redevelopment of the YWCA to the GMB. Those of you who stop by with any regularity know I'm partial to Duluth and the liveliness and quality of Duluth's writing and artistic realms. My favorite independent bookstore used to be Northern Lights Books in Canal Park. They had one of the few regional poetry sections I've ever come across (are you listening Common Good Books and Subtext?). That's where I discovered Al Hunter's second book of poetry The Recklessness of Love Bawajiganan gaye Ni-maanedam. I bought it, read it. I too am glad Al Hunter is writing.]

No comments:

Post a Comment