Friday, March 8, 2013

Spring music

photo of early Spring last year
© harrington
Welcome. Thanks for swinging by. Would you believe that the photo above is from mid-March last year? I didn't. I thought the date function in my fancy digital camera must have been on the fritz. Then I checked the Minnesota Climatology Working Group's web site to find that my camera didn't lie to me and this is really what the local scene looked like. From their Mid March 2012 report:
During this warm stretch, the maximum temperature in the Twin Cities has reached or exceeded 70 degrees on eight days, breaking the previous March record of five set in 1910. Through March 19, the Twin Cities maximum temperature reached or exceeded 70 degrees for four consecutive days, breaking the previous record of three consecutive days which occurred on March 23-25, 1939 and March 22-24, 1945.
At the moment, there's 6 to 8 inches of snow where this photo was taken a little over a year ago. This year we still have a springtime still full of promise more than pleasure. Tonight, however, I'm expecting immediate gratification from the pleasure of hearing Red Horse at the St. Croix Falls Festival Theatre. Eliza Gilkyson, John Gorka and Lucy Kaplansky have elevated and redefined the meaning of synergy and harmony. Individually, each is great. Together, they're awesome. In case you can't tell, the unreconstructed hippie in me thoroughly gets into folk music. An added bonus is that the Theatre's seats are actually comfortable enough for these old bones to sit through a concert and still be able to walk afterwards. If my long-suffering wife and I are really lucky, the freezing rain will hold off until the car is back in the garage and we're in the house. After hearing Red Horse tonight, next week (or the week after) I can look forward to hearing returning red wing blackbirds and Canada geese. Despite the weather forecast, My Minnesota is full of more raves than rants today. Just like our weather, that may change by tomorrow. Stop by to see which way the wind is blowing or if the sky is falling.

No comments:

Post a Comment