Thursday, March 7, 2013

To every thing, there is a season

photo of Spring road
© harrington
Welcome. Thanks for dropping in. Let me ask you, do you enjoy change? How about changing? Transitions present challenges, and opportunities. Winter hangs on. Spring comes on. Freeze. Thaw. Melt. Snow. Rain. Freezing rain. Ice. Two steps forward, one step back and maybe a couple sideways as water moves from a gaseous to a solid to a liquid state. When I think about it, that's the same kind of pattern I follow when I'm changing. How about you? If change comes to quickly, it's hard to adapt successfully. That may be what we're going to experience this weekend with the prospect of freezing rain and then rain and then snow melt followed by runoff and rivers rising and ice jambs. Winter to Spring seems more challenging than Spring to Summer or Summer to Autumn. Thinking back on the different times I've fallen in love, some were like Winter to Spring, and included the occasional ice jamb plus localized flooding. Other times, with other women, falling in love was more like a warm, gentle slide from the end of Spring to the beginning of Summer. Please don't ask which I preferred. Winter to Spring is full of promise. Spring to Summer, full of pleasure. Reminds me of Wallace Stevens wonderful lines:
I do not know which to prefer,
The beauty of inflections
Or the beauty of innuendoes,
The blackbird whistling
Or just after. 
I hope each season in My Minnesota brings you both promise and pleasure and that you find the same each time you visit us. Stop back tomorrow. Rants and/or raves served daily, with an occasional dollop of fantasy just because we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment