Thursday, May 23, 2013

Sing a song of Spring sense

photo of flowers in bloom
© harrington
Welcome. Thanks for visiting. I'm ready to nominate today as one of the three prettiest days of 2013. Have you noticed that almost everything that can bloom and blossom is? Take a moment, stop, step outside if need be, and draw a deep breath? No matter where you are in My Minnesota, I bet if you do that you can smell freshly-cut grass. And, for the next several weeks, if you slow down a bit from your normal hectic pace, you'll catch the aroma of lilacs. I still remember from my time in grammar school, the nuns used to prohibit students and their parents from bringing large bouquets of lilacs (or even small ones) to school; something about soporific smells diminishing the already distracted attention of students on sunny afternoons who were already looking forward to Summer vacation. I can vouch for the fact that there are few places in Minnesota, or elsewhere, that there is a concentration of lilac blooms sufficient to be inhaled at 70 mph. (The same can't be said about barns in greater Minnesota on a warm June evening, however.) After a long, cold Winter and Spring, having all of our senses assaulted at once is a delight. We get to hear birds singing, smell the "roses", see flowers every which way we turn, feel cool, Spring zephyrs or gentle rain on our skin, and taste the good life in Minnesota (which sometimes includes fresh walleye or bluegill fillets). Those poor folks in their high-rise penthouses should have it so good. Oh, I know, we've still got bills to pay, chores to do, bosses (or clients) to assuage and problems to solve. This is still the time of year to savor small pleasures, and some large ones too. George Copway (Kahgegagahbowh), Ojibwe, is quoted in The Wisdom of the Native Americans as saying something perfect for this time of year: "I was born in Nature's wide domain. The trees were all that sheltered my infant limbs, the blue heavens all that covered me. I am one of Nature's children. I have always admired her. She shall be my glory: her features, her robes, and the wreath about her brow, the seasons, her stately oaks, and the evergreen -- her hair, ringlets over the earth -- all contribute to my enduring love of her." Thanks for listening. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment