Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer, time

G'd afternoon. This is what the local roadside is looking like these days. The first dragonflies of the season apparated this past weekend. The orange daylilies should start blooming soon. Summer seems to be settling in, just in time to celebrate the solstice. The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things... Have you seen fireflies these past few years? I don't remember seeing any for quite some time, and I miss them. This afternoon, a great blue heron flew across the road at slightly more than treetop height. It definitely looked cretaceous. The emergent laziness of Summer makes me want to slow down. I'm reminded of the poem by James Wright

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

By James Wright 
Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,   
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadow.   
Down the ravine behind the empty house,   
The cowbells follow one another   
Into the distances of the afternoon.   
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between two pines,   
The droppings of last year’s horses   
Blaze up into golden stones.
I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.   
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
I have wasted my life.
If you've never been to or through Pine Island, it's in southeastern Minnesota, near Rochester. I hope your Summer (and mine) are as well wasted as James Wright's. Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment