Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Gift of the Deer

Hi! You have no idea how much happiness is captured in typing those two letters. Other than a temperature that spiked earlier today and has kept me from going home for now, and the fact that this photo is the most green I've seen in four days, I seem to be recovering well. Turns out that one of my occupational therapists is a musician. His last name is spelled Zerr and he tells me it's pronounced Anderson. Only in Minnesota. We could all use more folks in our lives like that. Speaking of the kind of folks we could use in our lives, this week I've been lucky to learn that I have many of them and one of them includes Sarah Stonich, the wonderful author of Vacationland, a book I've recently started, who quite properly chastised my initial listing of ten books all Minnesotans should read with her comment that said "My My, only one woman? How about "The Gift of The Deer" by Helen Hoover. "The Voyageurs Highway" by Grace Lee Nute, and toss in a Justin Kerfoot for good measure." My only excuse, and a poor one it is, is an extremely faulty memory. I read "The Gift of The Deer" by Helen Hoover many years ago. I should have listed it. Thank you Sarah for joining the conversation and helping out. We could use more like you in this conversation. Kristen wrote she would add the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder and any of Lorna Landvik's books. I have to admit that the title "Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons evokes pictures of Edina and the old Daytons. I'm truly grateful for the suggestions from other well-read Minnesotans. One of my fondest hopes is that this become our list, not just my list. Thanks for participating and for caring. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily. By the way, would anyone support the inclusion of Jonathan Franzen's Freedom on the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment