Thursday, July 11, 2013

The light side of Darkness

Welcome. I just returned from picking up this week's CSA share at the W.E.I. Amadore Hill Farm. Most of the local ponds are turning green. We saw one doe at the back edge of a corn field. Si-Si enjoyed the ride. For the second consecutive trip I didn't get lost. This week's cookie share was half a dozen oatmeal raisin cookies, one of my favorites.It's been, all-in-all, a good day. Earlier, I came across a wonderful article by Connie Wanek, Duluth writer and poet, on the mnartists web site reviewing Darkness Sticks to Everything: Collected and New Poems by Tom Hennen. I must have read at least one of his poems in Garrison Keillor's anthology Good Poems. I'm sorry to say I didn't follow up to find more of his work. After Connie's review, and the (linked) N.Y. Times review, I'll be reading more of Hennen's work in the near future. In fact, I was so taken by the review, and the included poems, that I'm going to stop early today so you can go and read some delightful prose about a Minnesota poet by a Minnesota poet. Thanks for listening. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily. [In case you didn't notice, today's posting was a rave about both Connie's review and Hennen's poetry. The icing on the cookie is the afterward by Thomas R. Smith, another better than fine local poet and writer.]

No comments:

Post a Comment