Monday, October 28, 2013

Back from the North Country

Today is another quick posting day. We drove back from Tofte and could use some down time. The tamaracks on the North Shore are at about peak color. There was one short stretch of Highway 61 that was bordered by them on both sides.


We stopped along the road to glean a couple of clusters of showy mountain ash berries. One set of "berries" got separated and planted this afternoon. The other will get to germinate in the refrigerator for a couple of months and then will be planted in pots in the house. We'll see if any of this actually works and let you know come Spring and Summer of next year.


I wonder how many of those that try to wrest a living from the North Woods feel what Arna Bontemps refers to in his poem.

A Black Man Talks of Reaping


By Arna Bontemps
I have sown beside all waters in my day.
I planted deep, within my heart the fear
that wind or fowl would take the grain away.
I planted safe against this stark, lean year.   

I scattered seed enough to plant the land
in rows from Canada to Mexico
but for my reaping only what the hand
can hold at once is all that I can show.

Yet what I sowed and what the orchard yields
my brother's sons are gathering stalk and root;
small wonder then my children glean in fields
they have not sown, and feed on bitter fruit.

************************************************
Thanks for listening. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily.

1 comment:

  1. Looks absolutely gorgeous! Wish I could get away from work right now. There's a food and wine event in Tofte this weekend too with the Butcher from Butcher and the Boar.

    ReplyDelete