Wednesday, February 19, 2014

No skating through this Winter

As I write this, we've just paid almost $3,000 to have ice dams removed from both the north and the south roof edges. We're under a Winter Storm Watch for snow tonight and tomorrow (5 to 9 inches) and, after tomorrow, who knows when the next thaw will occur. Once the ice dam crew left, the daughter person's fiancee began shoveling snow off the roof (garage and house) while my better half and I tried to find somewhere to stack it at ground level away from the house. We ran out of storage space before we ran out of snow. I find minimal consolation in the fact that New England, my original home, has been getting hit repeatedly with storms that tracked well south of us. Nor do I recall much concern in New England about ice dams, probably because I lived close to or on the coast, which was often notably milder than even five miles inland. Meanwhile, here is a look at some of what was steamed off our roof today.

north side roof ice dam
north side roof ice dam                 © harrington

Part of the problem with a Winter like this is that waving a white flag is useless, because whoever's in charge can't see it against the snow banks and snow drifts. There's no real way to surrender under these circumstances. Maybe the republicans can build a long, tall wall along the Canadian border and keep those Polar Vortices way up north where they belong.

 If we can hang on a few more days, the average daytime high will reach 32 starting on February 23. I don't know about you, but since that's only four days  away, I might try a short-term hibernation and sleep that long.
Fellow New Englander Robert Frost find Winter and Summer comparably destructive in this poem.

Fire and Ice

By Robert Frost 
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can. Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment