Friday, February 21, 2014

Other kinds of Minnesota snow birds

Somewhere this morning I read that we had twenty-four inches of snow cover. My better half keeps saying "it'll all be gone soon." I wish that the beauty it brings weren't so counterbalanced with inconveniences.

snow encrusted trees
snow encrusted trees        © harrington

To say that birds have been flocking to the feeders wouldn't convey the sense that Hitchcock could have used our deck yesterday and today to film some scenes from "The Birds." Watching  the goldfinches land on windblown branches covered with snow almost as deep as they are tall was a treat. As he frequently does, Robert Frost puts things into a human perspective.

goldfinches on snow covered branches
goldfinches on snow covered branches   © harrington

Dust of Snow

By Robert Frost
The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued. 

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can. Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment