Monday, March 31, 2014

Spring, a fresh start

We've made it to the end of March. Things should get better warmer from here. Today's posting is going to be short and sweet. (I'm recuperating from the general anaesthetic they gave me for a procedure I underwent this morning.) Tomorrow starts National Poetry Month. We'll be focusing on the poems and poets in two books, one published by Minnesota Historical Society Press, Where One Voice Ends Another Begins and County Lines, an anthology from the League of Minnesota Poets, published by Loonfeather Press. Minnesota has a rich literary and poetry heritage that some of us believe deserves more recognition. Thanks for your understanding. By the way, we failed to note a couple of days ago that My Minnesota had reached 500 postings. Thanks for sharing them with us.

oak leaves starting
oak leaves starting   © harrington

Older, Younger, Both

By Joyce Sutphen 

I feel older, younger, both
at once. Every time I win,
I lose. Every time I count,
I forget and must begin again.

I must begin again, and again I
must begin. Every time I lose,
I win and must begin again.

Everything I plan must wait, and
having to wait has made me old, and
the older I get, the more I wait, and everything
I’m waiting for has already been planned.

I feel sadder, wiser, neither
together. Everything is almost
true, and almost true is everywhere.
I feel sadder, wiser, neither at once.

I end in beginning, in ending I find
that beginning is the first thing to do.
I stop when I start, but my heart keeps on beating,
so I must go on starting in spite of the stopping.

I must stop my stopping and start to start—
I can end at the beginning or begin at the end.
I feel older, younger, both at once.

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment