Monday, March 3, 2014

This is dedicated to the one I love

Today is my better half's birthday. She is the one who usually knows the names of the wildflowers that I photograph. She also is the lead gleaner in the household. Thus far, one of the few defects of character I've found in her is that she actually enjoys Winter. In fact, according to some reportedly knowledgable sources, enjoying Winter isn't a character defect at all. Hard to believe. Although she's not a native New Englander, her love for the coast and, particularly Cape Cod, rivals mine. She's even accepting and understanding on the times when I show up with a puppy, boat, shotgun or other indulgence claiming it followed me home and asking if I can keep it. It occurred to me that a public acknowledgement of just how important to me, my happiness, and my life she is, is both overdue and entirely in order.  Happy Birthday, Honey, and many, many happy returns of the day.

Back yard berry picking by the Gleaner-in-Chief
Back yard berry picking by the Gleaner-in-Chief © harrington
Although it's her birthday, to give you an idea of how generous she is, she's sharing the beginning of a long term warming spell with us as her present to the rest of us. What more could we Winter weary wayfarers ask of anyone? Christina Rosetti nicely describes how I feel today. (We will return to our regularly scheduled programming tomorrow.)

A Birthday

By Christina Rossetti 

My heart is like a singing bird
                  Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
My heart is like an apple-tree
                  Whose boughs are bent with thickset fruit;
My heart is like a rainbow shell
                  That paddles in a halcyon sea;
My heart is gladder than all these
                  Because my love is come to me.

Raise me a dais of silk and down;
                  Hang it with vair and purple dyes;
Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
                  And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
Work it in gold and silver grapes,
                  In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
Because the birthday of my life
                  Is come, my love is come to me. 

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment