Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Spring, pond

I hope you had a great Earth Day yesterday. Today we've made it to day 23 of National Poetry Month. On day 22, there was a bluebird sighting on "The Property." Also, in anticipation of some much needed exterior rehab, a bird's nest that's lived above the front door for many years was evicted. There remain several patches and piles of unmelted snow, but Spring continues its inexorable dance to Summer. The local pond is (once again) ice free. Upstream of the pond a Canada goose was sitting on the stream bank with his/her head tucked under his/her wing so that I wouldn't be able to see him/her. Silly goose! Sleepy goose?

ice out (again) at the pond
ice out (again) at the pond             © harrington

While standing near the pond, I listened to the sounds made by a variety of frogs and or toads. From what I've read, each species of frog has a unique mating call. That would make sense. What was a major surprise was that the Internet, the compendium of all human knowledge (but very little wisdom) doesn't seem to have a listing of names for the variety of frog sounds/calls. I found croak, peep (Spring peepers), harrumph or ribbit (bull frog?) but few other frog call sounds listed by name. Here's a link to a site with recordings of frog calls. I think I was hearing a lot of green tree frogs yesterday, to me they sound a little like grackles. The bull frog sounds like the didgeridoo I heard in a Crocodile Dundee movie, and I'm pretty sure the southern leopard frog was part of several Tarzan movie soundtracks. This could become a Summer project, naming frog call sounds or, we could just accept Jack Prelutsky's assessment.

My Frog Is a Frog

By Jack Prelutsky 

My frog is a frog that is hopelessly hoarse,
my frog is a frog with a reason, of course,
my frog is a frog that cannot croak a note,
my frog is a frog with a frog in its throat. 

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment