Friday, July 4, 2014

This land was made for you and me

Here we are again, celebrating thirteen colonies declaring their independence from a colonial power. Happy July 4th! The Star Tribune has a survey asking reader's favorite patriotic song. The Star's list didn't include my favorite, This Land Is Your Land, so we've provided a link to an American Masters PBS project with the lyrics and a variety of us singing the song. And, for a nostalgic treat, try this. Minnesota wasn't one of the original colonies, but it's clear to me that Woody could have been writing and singing about northern Minnesota and the St. Croix Valley among other areas of Minnesota made for you and me.

"As I was walking that ribbon of highway, 
I saw above me that endless skyway: "         photo © harrington

"As the fog was lifting a voice was chanting:
This land was made for you and me. "         photo © harrington

I won't presume to think I know what Woody had in mind when he wrote this song, nor do I have any idea who he included in his vision of "you." I do know that, before most of us were here in this land, others preceded us. Here's a perspective from our predecessors in this land. 
Enjoy your holiday weekend.

Instead of a July 4th poem, try this quotation:
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment