Friday, December 5, 2014

Eve of Little Spirit Moon

If the extended weather forecast is in the ballpark, someday soon the Daughter Person is likely to start getting concerned about the possibility of a brown Christmas. Aside from ticks and mice, that could be one of her least favorite things. I'm noticing that the local roads are getting more and more slickery with our thaw / freeze cycle. The warmer weather should help the roofers that are scheduled to start on our house next week. I think they know that they have to be done in plenty of time for a certain sleigh and eight tiny reindeer to land later this month.


Photo by J. Harrington

I was dashing hither and yon in St. Paul this morning and never noticed if the creche at the Basilica is up. Although I can make the intellectual association between the gifts the magi brought and our giving gifts at Christmas, I fail every time I try to relate the tranquility of the scene above with the chaos, pushing and shoving that's come to be associated with a commercially successful Christmas. Is that really the best we can do? Starting now, I'm going to focus more this Christmas on my presence (use search) than on my presents. I suspect those around me may be as grateful for that as I will be.

I have no idea what this may mean, if anything, but tomorrow is the full moon in Gemini. (The Anishnaabe call December's full moon small spirits moon or little spirit moon.) Tomorrow is also the Daughter person's birthday, and I'm a Gemini. Could make for an astrologically interesting day. I'll let you know if anything more unusual than the usual unusual happens around here.

The Magi

By William Butler Yeats 

Now as at all times I can see in the mind's eye,   
In their stiff, painted clothes, the pale unsatisfied ones   
Appear and disappear in the blue depths of the sky   
With all their ancient faces like rain-beaten stones,   
And all their helms of silver hovering side by side,   
And all their eyes still fixed, hoping to find once more,   
Being by Calvary's turbulence unsatisfied,   
The uncontrollable mystery on the bestial floor.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment