Saturday, April 25, 2015

A pretty afternoon's perspective

I've started today's posting three times already. Each time I wandered onto the subject of what the Minnesota Legislature is doing, I started to get dyspeptic and dyslexic in my typing I'm so frustrated by the self-serving short-sightedness of much of what they're passing and trying to pass off. So, for now I'm intentionally following Calvin's advice, as I found it on Twitter yesterday.
This past week, hoary puccoon prairie buttercups(?) started to bloom on our little piece of sand plain. West of the puccoon buttercups, in wet lowlands, royal ferns emerged. I'm used to seeing fiddlehead ferns that aren't all covered with white hairs so it took awhile to figure out what I had photographed.

Ranunculus rhomboideus (Prairie Buttercup)
Photo by J. Harrington

Osmunda regalis (Royal Fern)
Photo by J. Harrington

It's getting towards that time of year when we can look forward to seeing scarlet tanagers and rose breasted grosbeaks at our feeders. The extended forecast has much warmer temperatures in store for us. We are, for the moment, in much better shape than those living in Nepal, although some day the Yellowstone volcanic system could change that, but don't let that bother you for now. Our more immediate problems are being created in St. Paul. Enjoy the pretty afternoon.

National Poetry Month

By the Stream

Paul Laurence Dunbar, 1872 - 1906

By the stream I dream in calm delight, and watch as in a glass,
How the clouds like crowds of snowy-hued and white-robed
      maidens pass,
And the water into ripples breaks and sparkles as it spreads,
Like a host of armored knights with silver helmets on their heads.
And I deem the stream an emblem fit of human life may go,
For I find a mind may sparkle much and yet but shallows show,
And a soul may glow with myriad lights and wondrous mysteries,
When it only lies a dormant thing and mirrors what it sees.

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment