Tuesday, April 21, 2015

'Twas the day before Earth Day

If you're any kind of Harry Potter fan, I'm sure you remember the Whomping Willow on Hogwarts grounds. At one time or another today, almost every tree I saw had the winds blowing them about in pretty good imitation of the  WW. I'll write about the wind, and the flowering dogwood and/or magnolia trees I saw blooming exuberantly in St. Paul this morning. I will not mention the snow flurries that have been falling off and on most of the day. I've been oh so careful not to put away my winter boots and sweaters, but I did take the snow brush out of my car last weekend. I hope that's not what triggered today's weather. It appears as though the climatologists are on target with their claims that climate change means greater volatility in weather patterns. Looking at Minnesota's weather for most Aprils, I'm hard pressed to fathom how that could be.

turbulent clouds
turbulent clouds
Photo by J. Harrington

I'm sure you know that tomorrow is Earth Day. In fact, it's the 45th anniversary. Are you planning on doing anything to celebrate (that is if you're not shoveling snow)? In case you haven't made plans yet, let me offer a few suggestions. The St. Croix 360 web site proposes we become a river steward or get involved with Project 1 and
"...take a minute this Earth Day to take one action for the planet. Some suggestions include:
  • Pick up ONE piece of trash
  • Write to ONE restaurant to introduce recycling bins
  • Make ONE phone call to a politician
  • Write ONE check to a non-profit organization that promotes a healthier environment
  • Buy ONE thing from a local farmer or business"
There's another organization I've recently read about that may interest you on Earth Day (or any day starting today). It's The Next System Project and I hope it's the next big thing.

National Poetry Month

Earth Day

By Jane Yolen 
I am the Earth
And the Earth is me.
Each blade of grass,
Each honey tree,
Each bit of mud,
And stick and stone
Is blood and muscle,
Skin and bone.

And just as I
Need every bit
Of me to make
My body fit,
So Earth needs
Grass and stone and tree
And things that grow here
Naturally.

That’s why we
Celebrate this day.
That’s why across
The world we say:
As long as life,
As dear, as free,
I am the Earth
And the Earth is me. 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment