Friday, October 16, 2015

Happy World Bread Day!

According to King Arthur Flour folks, today is World Bread Day. A quick check around the internet supports their message. Yesterday I botched one loaf of artisan bread but the second loaf turned out fine. I was reminded of the dangers of trying to write and bake at the same time. Don't do it!

cooling artisan bread and cloche
cooling artisan bread and cloche
Photo by J. Harrington

Today I'm baking sourdough loaves, some of which will be turned into sandwiches for tonight's dinner. Imagine grilled cheddar cheese with apple slices (two kinds) between slabs of freshly baked sourdough bread. The last time I did the sourdough, I forgot to add salt. The bread was so bland I was tempted to toss it. This time I double and triple checked my ingredients. I'm fascinated by the fact that the artisan bread recipe calls for almost twice as much water as the sourdough, for about the same amount of flour (6 1/2 cups compared to 5 cups). Baking bread is turning out to be one of those things where the more I know, the more I want to know. That's part of what makes life interesting.

sourdough bread on cooling rack
sourdough bread on cooling rack
Photo by J. Harrington

Shortly before I started today's blog post, I Tweeted a haiku. Then, right after I Tweeted it, I revised it to a new and improved version. So, today's poem is an original from yours truly. Early morning is a wonderful time to bake or eat bread.

early morning sky
morning sky lightens
faded stars turn out the lights
leaving quietly
Photo by J. Harrington


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment