Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Going to the dogs? Damn right!

Yesterday was #WorldWaterDay but I didn't go out and dig a well or buy a canteen. Today is National Puppy Day and that's a much tougher challenge to resist. In past postings we've already introduced you to our (no longer) puppies: Franco and SiSi, each a "rescue" dog, although the rescuing goes both ways.

Franco, the Better Half's part border collie
Franco, the Better Half's part border collie
Photo by J. Harrington

SiSi, my part yellow Lab
SiSi, my part yellow Lab
Photo by J. Harrington

Franco has dedicated his life to raucously greeting anyone and everyone who approaches or enters the front door, no matter how well he knows them. He also does his best to keep the bird feeders safe from squirrels and the property unmolested by tigers, both of which actions require more raucousness. Fortunately, when not acting as a greeter or protector, he naps a lot.

SiSi may be the happiest and most energetic creature I've encountered, with the possible exception of Tigger in the Hundred Acre Wood. Hence, her name, Spanish for "Yes, Yes" meaning "I'm ready any time to try any thing. Let's go!"

Neither of our aged-out puppies has shown much interest in flowers, but those are one of the few things they don't regularly try to eat. Franco, in particular, shows a disconcerting interest in oak leaves, dead and dried. SiSi is a bit more discerning and frequently causes me to remember the prayer "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am." Despite occasional trials and tribulations, remember that puppies and dogs are one of our few sources, perhaps our only source, of unconditional love.

My Puppy Loves Flowers

By Bruce Lansky

My puppy’s in the garden.
He loves to smell the flowers.
To help them grow my puppy always
sprinkles them with showers.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment