Tuesday, March 8, 2016

#InternationalWomensDay2016

Today there are two women (wife, daughter) and three and one half females (wife, daughter, dog, share of daughter's dog) in my life. My mother and youngest sister have each "walked on" and the older of my two younger sisters has her own family back East. Each of them may have her faults, but their combined shortcomings are notably more limited than mine. I find that many of the writers I'm drawn to these days are women (Annie Dillard, Robin Wall Kimmerer, Joni Tevis, Joyce Sutphen, Rebecca Solnit). One of my favorite artists is Georgia O'Keeffe. I have worked for some women I admired,  others not so much, 'bout the same as men I've worked for.

Celebrate International Women's Day

During my youngest days my father was often off in the Air Force fighting wars, first the Second World War (you know, the one that came after the "War to End All Wars," and then the Korean Police Action (watch old episodes of M.A.S.H.).  Under those circumstances, my mother was a major influence on me, including teaching me "touch typing," for which I have been repeatedly grateful as well as disdainful of those executives who wouldn't go near a keyboard because that was a typist's job. My mother's probably still disappointed that I never became a neurosurgeon. I actually ended up following in my father's footsteps. That's why I'm a "recovering" planner.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that I've lived and worked with and learned from and enjoyed the company of women my entire life. Many of them are more talented and/or more capable and/or easier to get along with (better "soft skills") than I. Many have skill sets complementary to mine. I want a better world today and tomorrow for my wife and daughter. Part of that better world means I want to see their contributions recognized and valued as equivalent to all men's and superior to some.

Native Americans seem to do a better job recognizing the value of women to society. All too often these days Native Americans are doing a better job of defending the value of this Earth (Mother Nature) on which we all depend. We have much to learn from them and our mothers and wives and daughters and sisters and women friends if we are to have a sustainable future.

In honor of those who would be our full partners in creating a better future, celebrate #InternationalWomensDay by checking out these poems, videos, essays & more by & about important women poets: https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/womens-history-month

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment