Friday, May 6, 2016

#phenology If we fill it, will they come? If they throw it, will we come?

As one day in early April or late March held the promise of late Spring, today's weather foretells early Summer. Meteorologically speaking, that's only a little more than three weeks away. I've seen reports of orioles in the general vicinity, but no sign of any yet at our feeders, nor have we seen any hummingbirds yet. Maybe today's warmth will attract them? Since the little hummers seem to think that the oriole nectar feeder is for them, the grape nectar feeder has been complemented this year with a grape jelly feeder for orioles. We're hoping repurposing the meal worm feeder works better than last year's effort with dried meal worms. Can't be worse unless it attracts bears instead of or in addition to orioles.

female oriole at oriole nectar feeder
female oriole at "oriole" nectar feeder
Photo by J. Harrington

This afternoon is the start of The 24th Annual St Croix Valley Pottery Tour and Sale. We're planning on stopping at at least one or two of the studios later today. If you come to the valley, remember there are some major, but readily manageable, detours on Highway 8 going into and coming out of Taylors Falls.

male hummingbird at oriole nectar feeder
male hummingbird at "oriole" nectar feeder
Photo by J. Harrington

I wonder how many of our local potters have a similar respect for their basic material as Native American potters have? From my brief conversations with a few I know, and some limited reading, I know St. Croix Valley potters see clay as more than just a raw material. The following Hopi poem is part of a longer series titled




A MEASURE OF EARTH
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

We, the potters, are respectful of our clay.
I know that some of this clay may even contain the dust of my ancestors...
so how respectful I must be.

And I think, perhaps I too might become part of a vessel, some day!
What a thought... to become useful again and to reflect the Creator's beauty and love!
As I climb over the mesas and through the washes looking for clay,

I realize that there have been many before me who have taken the same steps
and have made the same search... and have seen the same beauty....
and I know that I am not alone in this search...

For I feel that I am one with the clay... one with my Creator...
one with every living thing.... even the grains of sand.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment