Tuesday, May 3, 2016

#phenology Trout Lily jackpot

I'm not sure when I first started looking for trout lilies, although I am sure it was quite a few years ago. Until yesterday, I'd had no success seeing any "in the wild." I've gone through a similar pattern with trillium. It's almost as if once I've seen the first ones, they then magically appear everywhere.

Yesterday's discoveries were within the proverbial "spittin' distance" of roads I used to drive regularly, usually a a higher rate of speed because I was trying to "get somewhere." I may have missed quite a lot of life's beauty by too often being focused on the destination instead of the journey. Perhaps it's like learning to walk and chew gum at the same time, enjoying a journey while also keeping an eye on the destination.

White Trout Lily (left and right)
Photo by J. Harrington

Yellow Trout Lily
Photo by J. Harrington

Do you think that the "Slow" movements, Slow Food, Slow Money, etc. are about more than just enjoying and investing in local food and local economies? If they involve adjustments to our basic values that make life better for the 99% of us, might those adjustments help us find things we've been looking for for a long time? You know, things like community and neighborliness and having time to spend.

William Blake
(1757—1827)




As I wander'd the forest,
The green leaves among,
I heard a wild flower
Singing a song.

I slept in the Earth
In the silent night,
I murmur'd my fears
And I felt delight.

In the morning I went
As rosy as morn,
To seek for new joy;
But O! met with scorn. 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment