Saturday, June 11, 2016

Hot, humid, happenings #phenology

humid morning, fogged window
humid morning, fogged window
Photo by J. Harrington

Early this morning, when the picture was taken, the temperature differential between inside and outside was only about 4 or 5 degrees. The window you can't see through is on the west side of the house, overlooking the bird feeders on the deck. Other windows on the north, east and south sides of the house were all clear at the time the picture was taken. The lack of wind (< 5 mph) makes me doubtful breezes were a major factor. By 8:00 a.m. the window was clear although there didn't seem to have been any major change in atmospheric conditions. Since most of the windows were clear, and the temperature differences not that great, some might claim the 94% humidity simply triggered condensation. I prefer to note that life remains full of surprises. Could it be that fairies were using the bird bath (the one visible if the window were clear and under which a green tree frog often hides) and, wanting some privacy from curious human eyes, used their magic to fog the view? When they finished bathing, breezes caused by fairy wings blew the moisture away as the fairies themselves flew away. In the Winter, even though the bird bath is heated, it's too cold for fairies to bathe and we never get condensation on the outside of the windows. Works for me.

At a Window


By Carl Sandburg


Give me hunger,
O you gods that sit and give
The world its orders.
Give me hunger, pain and want,
Shut me out with shame and failure
From your doors of gold and fame,
Give me your shabbiest, weariest hunger!

But leave me a little love,
A voice to speak to me in the day end,
A hand to touch me in the dark room
Breaking the long loneliness.
In the dusk of day-shapes
Blurring the sunset,
One little wandering, western star
Thrust out from the changing shores of shadow.
Let me go to the window,
Watch there the day-shapes of dusk
And wait and know the coming
Of a little love.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment