Sunday, August 26, 2018

our celebration of #NationalDogDay

Because it's #NationalDogDay, the dogs to whom the Better Half and we belong insisted we post their pictures.

Our own four-legged friend is SiSi, a yellow lab X ? cross. She has two speeds, bubbling

SiSi, with the bubbling personality
SiSi, with the bubbling personality
Photo by J. Harrington
and off!

SiSi, in the "Off" position
SiSi, in the "Off" position
Photo by J. Harrington

Our Better Half belongs to Franco, a border collie X ? cross, who is noisier but more circumspect than his blond companion.

Franco, whose human is our Better Half
Franco, whose human is our Better Half
Photo by J. Harrington

Each is a rescue dog, which means that each rescued their respective, if not overly respectable, human from a dogless existence. The pair of rescuers have agreed that, if we do a good enough job with today's posting,  they'll reward us with a treat. They would also like all of you to know that, if you don't currently have a dog, you should head for your nearest shelter and let one rescue you.

“The Sweetness of Dogs”


by Mary Oliver


What do you say, Percy? I am thinking
of sitting out on the sand to watch
the moon rise. It’s full tonight.
So we go

and the moon rises, so beautiful it
makes me shudder, makes me think about
time and space, makes me take
measure of myself: one iota
pondering heaven. Thus we sit, myself

thinking how grateful I am for the moon’s
perfect beauty and also, oh! how rich
it is to love the world. Percy, meanwhile,
leans against me and gazes up
into my face. As though I were just as wonderful
as the perfect moon.
“The Sweetness of Dogs” by Mary Oliver from Dog Songs 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment