Monday, December 3, 2012

Traditional knowledge

photo of a rainy day
© harrington
Most of today, the weather matched the photo above. It was dreary, mild (unseasonably so for My Minnesota in December) and damp, but not wet enough to help the drought. Several days ago I touched on some of my concerns about water quality and quantity and what seems to be a lack of systemic thinking about solutions. Yesterday, I wrote about my view that links exist between health of our economy, the health of the environment, and our own health.Although water has always played an important role in my life, until today I hadn't thought a lot about how much more important it is to the Minnesotans who were here before us.  Today, I came across a blog about Protect Our Manoomin (wild rice) and an entry by someone who is working so hard (and smoking so much) he had a heart attack at Thanksgiving. I'm grateful he recovered and felt well enough to post his story, especially the part where he writes "We have a word for that. That word is Gete-gikendaasowin – traditional knowledge. Gete-gikendaasowin provides us with an understanding of how to live in our world. And, in particular, how to live in agoozo miinawaa gikinootaadiwin (balance and harmony) with Omizakamigokwe (Mother Earth). This understanding comes from the Original Instructions that were given to us by Gichi-Manidoo (the Creator)" The similarities, as I see it, between The Aninishinaabe Factor and yesterday's quote from Bobby Kennedy absolutely delight the hell out of me. This once again proves to me that no amount of planning will ever replace dumb luck. It was through dumb luck I found the Manoomin blog. I'll check it regularly. (In case you find the pronunciation of some of the words I quoted above challenging, you might want to check out the on-line Ojibwe Dictionary.)

No comments:

Post a Comment