Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March's black hole

photo of country road in summer
© harrington
Thanks for coming. Welcome. The picture above is what yesterday's photo will look like in a few months. Before we get there, we must rediscovere, as we did today, how much worse mud can be than ice for driving on? through? in? All of the above and other. It has qualities similar to a black hole, from what I've read about black holes. I know mud from first-hand experience. Your tires get sucked into a certain horizon and can't pull free, just like light at the event horizon of a black hole. Actually, the way the weather is going, the whole month of March 2013 is beginning to feel like a black hole with Spring below the horizon. Is this from the same blogger who but a week or so ago was raving about the inevitable, relentless forward march of Spring. 
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
This weekend in St. Paul St. Patrick's Day is scheduled to be celebrated the day before it occurs. (We can't be having all that rowdiness on a Sunday now, can we?) Next month we celebrate National Poetry Month. I was going to suggest that such would be the antithesis of rowdiness until I remembered Lawrence Ferlinghetti and his "Poetry as Insurgent Art"  Strive to change the world in such a way that there's no further need to be a dissident. That's great advice for all of us, poets or not. It also, to me, calls for a certain amount of acceptance of imperfection. That's what I need to do with this March. Now that we've settled that. (Had you noticed it was unsettled?) I heartily recommend that you take a break (a small break) from reading My Minnesota to spend time with Saints Patrick and Larry. The continuing, gray dreariness of March offers a fine opportunity to spend time reading, organizing your fishing gear (for most of it, flies still bounce on the St. Croix and on all of the local lakes), baking bread, and looking as hard as you can for things outside to be cheerful about. Someone, probably either my long-suffering wife or the daughter's SO had the superb common sense to spread sand across the driveway near the house. I took out the trash without threat to life or limb. Celebrating small victories is another successful strategy for managing March. Please bring your celebrations back tomorrow. Rants and raves, often both, served here daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment