Sunday, April 27, 2014

Happy Birthday, SiSi!

Today isn't really her birthday, but it's been a year since we got her from the rescue folks. According to the vet last Thursday, she's put on 10 or 11 pounds (bouncing dogs make it hard to read the scale). It's been an interesting year. SiSi has helped keep me grounded about what's really important in life. She and I don't always agree about that, in part because she's younger, more energetic and can smell better than I ever could. The conversations we have about what's important are part of how she's training me to be a better owner and handler. My life has been richer and fuller and more rewarding because of her, and Franco, her partner in crime, and the daughter person and her fiancee, and my better half. As she usually does, Mary Oliver captures and shares the best parts (just change the "he" to "she" for SiSi). If you haven't yet, take a look at her Dog Songs.

SiSi, one year ago
SiSi, one year ago            © harrington

LITTLE DOG’S RHAPSODY IN THE NIGHT

He puts his cheek against mine
and makes small, expressive sounds.
And when I’m awake, or awake enough

he turns upside down, his four paws
  in the air
and his eyes dark and fervent.

“Tell me you love me,” he says.

“Tell me again.”

Could there be a sweeter arrangement? Over and over
he gets to ask.
I get to tell.

Mary Oliver


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can

No comments:

Post a Comment