Wednesday, December 10, 2014

What's Christmas without cookies?

Yesterday I started (re)reading Christmas in Minnesota. I felt good reading "This American Christmas emerged largely from places like New York, New England and Pennsylvania--regions that many Minnesota settlers knew as home." Being reminded that Minnesota was settled, in part, by fellow New Englanders triggered a welcome feeling of companionship at this nostalgic time of year.

a traditional Christmas tree
a traditional Christmas tree
Photo by J. Harrington

Shortly before I started yesterday's reading, I was looking at our Christmas tree and remembering that many of my childhood trees were placed in the triple decker bay windows in the front parlor. St Paul has one apartment building I know of that also has bay windows displaying a tree or two at this time of year. During December, I often go out of my way to drive by it in the evening if I'm in the city. I really enjoy seeing the multicolored lights behind the lace-looking curtains. Somewhere along the line our traditional Christmas lights have gone from multicolor to white or clear. I think that happened when we changed to the smaller bulbs. Come to think about it, many details of a family's traditional Christmas can change over the years and yet it's still "their" Christmas.

cookies essential to Christmas
cookies essential to Christmas
Photo by J. Harrington

One thing that Christmas in Minnesota reconfirmed is the essential role played by cookies at Christmas. "Just thinking about cookies--let alone eating one!-- can bring back a flood of memories." according to the Introduction by Brian Horrigan. Then there's always the fundamental cookies and milk for Santa.

Cookies for Santa

A Funny Christmas Poem for Kids

by Kenn Nesbitt

I baked a dozen cookies
and I put them on a plate,
and I set them out for Santa Claus,
except for one I ate.

That cookie was amazing
and I couldn't quite resist...
so I ate another one
that I was sure would not be missed.

I knew it wouldn't matter
if I only ate one more.
Then I gobbled up another one.
Why not? That's only four.

I accidentally dropped
another couple on the ground.
I knew Santa wouldn't want them
so I swiftly scarfed them down.

Another couple disappeared.
I may have eaten those,
though I couldn't say for certain,
but I guess that's how it goes.

I figured four was likely more
than Santa Claus would need
so I polished off another few
with unexpected speed.

Before I knew what happened
all the damage had been done,
and I realized I'd accidentally
eaten every one.

I guess it's best, since Santa
sort of needs to watch his weight.
When he visits us this Christmas
I sure hope he likes the plate.

Copyright © 2013 Kenn Nesbitt

All Rights Reserved

From www.poetry4kids.com

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment