- Male goldfinches in July sunlight are bright enough to hurt your eyes.
male goldfinches at feeder in May
Photo by J. Harrington
- The only true example of trickle-down economics I've found is at our bird feeder. Finches and grosbeaks and chickadees feed at the elevated feeder. Cardinals and chipmunks and some turkeys feed on the ground below.
- "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose" suggests interdependence, not in
terdependence. We live in the United States, not the Independent States. Our Brexit was a Civil War.
- We live in a beautiful, fruitful part of the world and are (very slowly) learning to take better care of it.
- The comings and goings of birds, butterflies and chipmunks, especially chipmunks, observed from inside a screen patio, are akin to great TV for our dogs.
- When Minnesota has weather like this weekend, San Diegans(?) can eat their hearts out.
- Fields of grasses are just beginning to be washed with the tawny shades of Autumn.
- I am not Robinson, but might once have been.
Robinson Escapes to the Cape for Independence Day
O little-know facts—how Robinson attracts them!Pilgrims rocked ashore here, before Plymouth Rock.The word scrimshaw is of unknown origin.The stock name of the archaic two-lane main road? Route 6A. Reallyit’s Old King’s Highway.Some facts are useless: the paper bag was invented in Dennis.Some facts are not: Wellfleet’s town clock sings out ship’s time.19th century Americans observed only three holidays. The Fourth ofJuly was one.O witty aperçus—how Robinson accrues them!Good food is self-made, like a good millionaire.Don’t just do something. Stand there.It’s got to be the weekend somewhere.Robinson is crisp & perspicuous. His wife stands next to him on thesand.Democracy could be a lot more sexy if . . . this one fades in the rockets’red glare.Ann blushes, runs a hand through his hair.Robinson looks up, concussed.Fireworks percuss.
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.