Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The ides of January

photo f sunrise
© harrington
Based on a quick check of the information available at the US Naval Observatory web portal we've gained more than 20 minutes of daylight since the winter solstice of 2012. Despite ups and downs (and downs) in our daily temperatures, the seasons churn inexorably forward. Spring approaches on little (frozen) cat's feet. My wife reported that, earlier this week, during an early morning dog walk, she heard a turkey gobble. About two months from now, the Canada geese and other waterfowl will have returned although most water will still be ice covered. In yet another sign of Spring, a belated Christmas present arrived yesterday. Today I started my new bonsai garden from dawn redwood seeds. I'll report any triumphs or tragedies as they occur. By the way, today's moon is a waxing crescent, 22% full. It was really pretty catching glimpses of it as I drove to work this morning. Seeing its reflection in the black ice, not so much. Snow is forecast for later tonight and tomorrow morning. I need to figure out how to take pictures of snow falling on cedars.

No comments:

Post a Comment