Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A hope full Thanksgiving

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving next week. Santa arrives at the end of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Time spent with family. Good food. The real start of the holiday season. I discovered this morning something else for which I'm grateful. Terrain.org, A Journal of the Build + Natural Environments, has a guest editorial in the current issue. Its entitled Notes Composed in the Dark of Our Time and was written by Priscilla Long. It's about hope. This Thanksgiving, I'm going to concentrate on remembering all we have to be hopeful for. I don't know about you, but I find it all too easy to loose sight of what's going better, or at least OK, in the face of all that's not going well or is headed in what I think is the wrong direction. One of my favorite writers, Paul Hawken, wrote a book several years ago called Blessed Unrest. One of the outcomes of that book was a web site named Wiser.org, The Social Network for Sustainability. If you're having trouble being thankful in light of all the world's trials and tribulations, follow some of the links above. I hope they help perk you up. Try Emily Dickinson's poem too.

a flock of five wild turkeys
things with feathers           © harrington


"Hope" is the thing with feathers - (314)

By Emily Dickinson 

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

****************************
Thanks for listening. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment