Saturday, August 10, 2013

For the children

photo of silky prairie clover at Wild River State Park
© harrington
Welcome. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday and this morning trying to discover the name of this plant. Once I had learned that I had taken a photo of silky prairie clover, I started to wonder of what use I could make of this information. Fortunately, I've recently been reading Gary Snyder's Turtle Island, which includes his poem "For the Children." An unexpected birthday present given to me earlier this Summer by my wonderful wife. Since Snyder is one of my personal heroes, I was delighted to find an answer to my wondering in his poem. It seems to me to be some of the best advice ever.
FOR THE CHILDREN
The rising hills, the slopes,
of statistics
lie before us.
the steep climb
of everything, going up,
up, as we all
go down.
In the next century
or the one beyond that,
they say,
are valleys, pastures,
we can meet there in peace
if we make it.
To climb these coming crests
one word to you, to
you and your children:
stay together
learn the flowers
go light
--Gary Snyder
Stay Together: be a family, part of a community.
Learn the Flowers
: know the place you are choosing to live, appreciate its beauty.
Go Light: Take only photographs, leave only footprints.
Thanks for visiting, Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily. Poetry shared frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment