Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Blessings undisguised

photo of prairie restoration at Wild River State Park
© harrington  
Hi! Thanks for stopping by. Tomorrow, or Friday, most likely the latter, I hope to be back at this prairie restoration site in Wild River State Park after we've picked up this week's CSA shares from the WEI Farm at Amadore Hill, which is just up, or down, the road from the park's entrance. I'm also hoping the weather will cooperate and that there will be a number of prairie flowers in bloom. If so, expect photos. Several days ago we posted about having tried a recipe found on-line as a new way to use and enjoy our abundance of greens. Please be sure, if you're tempted to try the recipe I reported we all enjoyed, to check the anonymous comment left by my exceedingly talented (and patient and kind and understanding) but excessively modest wife about her "tweaks" to the recipe which her insensitive clod of a husband failed to include in that day's posting. We also want to thank the fine folks at WEI for adding this blog to their Facebook page. And, in the interest of full disclosure, we admit never having heard of black chokeberries [Aronia melanocarpa (Photinia melanocarpa)] until the daughter person and her significant other planted several of them in the yard. From what I read in Wikipedia, it seems the only benefit they haven't yet heaped on mankind is world peace. When I started out to learn more about our latest additions to local, really local, foods, I followed my current tendency to get easily distracted and instead learned that Pequot Lakes is the (self declared) chokecherry capital of Minnesota. Since I already knew about chokecherries, and, once upon a time, actually knew where there were a few wild trees from which I could forage I had promptly, and incorrectly, assumed that the "kids" meant chokecherries, not chokeberries, once again allowing me to prove the wisdom of the old saying by Will Rogers, "It ain't what we don't know that gets us in trouble, it's what we think we know that just ain't so." Enough for today. Come again when you can. Rants, raves and reflections served here daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment