Thursday, June 11, 2015

Summer's beauty

Over the past few days, several dark-colored butterflies have been fluttering around the property. I managed to get a not great photo of one. It looks to me like a red-spotted purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax), but if anyone wants to point us in a different direction, please send a link with description and photo. I used the Minnesota Seasons section on Lepidoptera.

red-spotted purple (Limenitis arthemis astyanax)
Photo by J. Harrington

The driveway where the photo was taken is the same one with the puddle that the woodcock likes to take a bath in. It's that time of year when our pine trees have been releasing golden pollen. The puddle, after last week's rain, was surrounded by a pale yellow halo and reflected the branches of the pine tree that was shedding pollen. I expect today's rain to restore the puddle to it's former glory. UNtil I started writing / blogging and taking photos regularly, I don't think I ever before noticed how the pines are mirrored in the driveway puddle. There's, once again, an example of how there's lots to be gained by paying attention and being intentional. Sometimes beauty is obvious and sort of whacks us between the eyes. Other times it's more subtile and easily missed. Doesn't mean it's not there, just that we didn't notice or know where to look.


Photo by J. Harrington

Caterpillars

By Brod Bagert 

They came like dewdrops overnight
Eating every plant in sight,
Those nasty worms with legs that crawl
So creepy up the garden wall,
Green prickly fuzz to hurt and sting
Each unsuspecting living thing.
How I hate them!   Oh, you know
I’d love to squish them with my toe.
But then I see past their disguise,
Someday they’ll all be butterflies.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment