Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Early presents from me to you

You've probably noticed that we spend a fair number of bits, bytes and pixels around here writing about place, local foods, local economy and bioregionalism. Sometimes we find others who share those interests and provide perspectives that shouldn't be missed. Over the past day or so we've encountered several instances that are so good we'll just provide links, short descriptions and strong recommendations that you follow the links. The reading and viewing may not be exactly seasonal, but should provide you with some of the season's warm, fuzzy spirit, although the last one may prompt you to reach for some stronger spirits, or not.

joyful signs of the season
joyful signs of the season
Photo by J. Harrington

  • Anne Queenan shares the joy of reconnecting both in writing and video (the video is way at the bottom). Watching and reading this made my day.

  • Emily Johnson writes about place in a new and different way, at least I've never before read anything like her SILENT STORY. I find it to be a wonder and a delight and hope someday to match its quality (in writing, my dancing skills are nonexistent).

  • Way back in the last millennium, when I lived in Massachusetts, I first encountered the writings of Ted Williams (the other one, not the baseball player). He drifted off my radar screen for quite awhile until I came across an interview with him in Forbes. He's as forthright and insightful as I remember and I'm looking forward to rediscovering his work.
On the home front, the tree is decorated (photos soon), much of the weekend is committed to Christmas cookie baking by the Better Half and the Daughter Person, plus allies. I know enough to stay out of the way. ; >)

Prayer for Joy

By Stuart Kestenbaum 
What was it we wanted
to say anyhow, like today
when there were all the letters
in my alphabet soup and suddenly
the ‘j’ rises to the surface.
The ‘j’, a letter that might be
great for Scrabble, but not really
used for much else, unless
we need to jump for joy,
and then all of a sudden
it’s there and ready to
help us soar and to open up
our hearts at the same time,
this simple line with a curved bottom,
an upside down cane that helps
us walk in a new way into this
forest of language, where all the letters
are beginning to speak,
finding each other in just
the right combination
to be understood.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment