Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#BeBoldForChange

Windy to very windy; cold to very cold; snow showers to blizzards; March in Minnesota most often means miseries. Yesterday and today we've had winds pretty consistently at or above 25 mph, with all too frequent gusts of 50 to 60+ mph. Mother Nature is overly exuberant this year in her local celebration of International Women's Day. The photo below really caught my attention this morning.

The statue of the girl is supposed to be in place for a month or so on Wall Street. After that, I'd love to see it in a similar position facing the White House. We're well overdue to have a woman there. If that can't be arranged with the National Park Service or whoever, perhaps Minnesota could invite the statue's owner to place it facing the State Capital building in St. Paul. Minnesota is well past due to have a woman governor.



On a slightly related topic, this morning I "discovered" what struck me as some wonderful, compelling writing by an author named Sarah Moss. It's on line at Granta Magazine and it's titled Things That Didn't Happen, an excerpt from a novel, The Tidal Zone, she wrote. The local library didn't have that novel, but it did have a copy of Moss's nonfiction book about Iceland. Since I've already been exposed to Iceland by the late writer Bill Holm, I'm looking forward to reading her descriptions of the place and people. Then, perhaps it's just me, but where have male essayists like E.B. White gone? As I review the nonfiction I've particularly enjoyed over the past few years, the names that come to mind are Eula Biss, Joni Tevis, Rebecca Solnit, Terry Tempist Williams and Robin Wall Kimmerer, among others. Does E.B. White have any male successors?

won’t you celebrate with me


won’t you celebrate with me
what i have shaped into
a kind of life? i had no model.
born in babylon
both nonwhite and woman
what did i see to be except myself?
i made it up
here on this bridge between
starshine and clay,
my one hand holding tight
my other hand; come celebrate
with me that everyday
something has tried to kill me
and has failed.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment