Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Dredging up river words

Earlier today I came across a nice, albeit limited [7 words], Glossary of River Words, put together by Merriam-Webster. I know from my own education, training and experience there are more than seven river words, so I got curious about what else might there be. Internet searching revealed that the National Wild and Scenic Rivers web site lacks a glossary of river words, although it does have one for federal acronyms etc. It also has a nice section of River and Environmental Quotations, but I find their interface lacking, to put it mildly.

St. Louis River in Jay Cooke State Park
St. Louis River in Jay Cooke State Park
Photo by J. Harrington

I had higher hopes for the American Rivers web site, but those hopes were dashed. No glossary there that I could find. A United Kingdom site has an expanded (much more than seven words) River Glossary that's part of an overarching "Homework Help" site. The United States Geological Survey has an "unofficial" Dictionary of Water Terms that is both technical and expansive.

Based on very quick reviews, the glossaries I found seemed to lack a number of synonyms for river, such as:
    estuary
    stream
    tributary
    beck
    branch
    brook
    course
    creek
    rill
    rivulet
    run
    runnel
    watercourse
While wandering the backwaters of the internet, looking for resources for this posting on river terms, I fell into a fly fishing glossary, on which I'm now hooked. But, for a very different and fascinating perspective, take a look at the sidebar and follow the link to The Meaning of Water. It's worth the trip.

Locally, see if you can lay your hands on a copy of Thomas F. Waters' The Streams and Rivers of Minnesota, and / or his Wildstream: A Natural History of the Free Flowing River.

If you've read this far, you probably figured out that Norman Maclean is not the only one "haunted by waters."

River


By Mary Oliver


The river
Of my childhood,
That tumbled
Down a passage of rocks
And cut-work ferns,
Came here and there
To the swirl
And slowdown
Of a pool
And I say myself–
Oh, clearly–
As I knelt at one–
Then I saw myself
As if carried away,
As the river moved on.
Where have I gone?
Since then
I have looked and looked
For myself,
Not sure
Who I am, or where,
Or, more importantly, why.
It’s okay–
I have had a wonderful life.
Still, I ponder
Where that other is–
Where I landed,
What I thought, what I did,
What small or even maybe meaningful deeds
I might have accomplished
Somewhere
Among strangers,
Coming to them
As only a river can–
Touching every life it meets–
That endlessly kind, that enduring.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment