Thursday, November 26, 2020

On giving thanks

 Doe to a worldwide pandemic, many today are more isolated than they would otherwise choose to be. Thanks to Carl Sagan, his wife Ann Druyan, and the folks at NASA, we can have a different perspective on isolation. Aren't we all isolated on the pale blue dot of earth?


we live in isolation on a pale blue dot
Seen from about 6 billion kilometers (3.7 billion miles), Earth appears as a tiny dot within deep space: the blueish-white speck almost halfway up the brown band on the right.


The passengers on the Mayflower were largely isolated from all they had known in England and on the European continent when they disembarked to a world new to them. Yr. obt. svt. was born in Boston, raised in Massachusetts' South Shore and Cape Cod, and herewith shares some myths about today's holiday, published and sourced via the Cape Cod Times.

Pilgrim myths: Don’t believe everything your kindergarten teacher told you

A nation created, a nation diminished: Pilgrims’ arrival in Provincetown 400 years ago spawned a clash of cultures

We hope each and every one of you has a safe, happy, healthy, and caring holiday and lives to celebrate with loved ones again next year.


a sole Tom Turkey gobbles "Happy Thanksgiving"
a sole Tom Turkey gobbles "Happy Thanksgiving"
Photo by J. Harrington


Thanksgiving



Amazement fills my heart to-night, 
Amaze and awful fears; 
I am a ship that sees no light, 
But blindly onward steers. 
 
Flung toward heaven’s toppling rage, 
Sunk between steep and steep, 
A lost and wondrous fight I wage 
With the embattled deep. 
 
I neither know nor care at length 
Where drives the storm about; 
Only I summon all my strength 
And swear to ride it out. 
 
Yet give I thanks; despite these wars. 
My ship—though blindly blown, 
Long lost to sun or moon or stars— 
Still stands up alone. 
I need no trust in borrowed spars; 
My strength is yet my own.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment