Monday, January 4, 2021

Reason to believe?

One of our favorite country/folk songs is Reason To Believe, by Tim Hardin. These days there seems to be a lot of the kind of thinking and feeling captured in the song's lyrics going on in our political arenas. "...knowing that you lied, straight faced, while I cried...." Personally, we've reached a limit on our ability to do more than watch the madness, preferably from a distance. There's not much we can do about any of it and so, once again, we will post the following graphic, as transmitted to us by the Daughter Person:


what I can and cannot control
what I can and cannot control

Tomorrow is the Georgia runoff for two US Senate seats. Wednesday is the counting of the Electoral College vote by Congress. Who can begin to guess what kinds of madness the Republicans will attempt to interject into those proceedings? It is absolutely clear to us however, that there's not a damn thing, other than cheer or curse, we can do about any of it. Tomorrow's weather is supposed to be partly cloudy (partly sunny?) so maybe we need to take some time and get outside.

We've been responsible and done our bit over the past several months and the last four years:

  • We resisted
  • We voted
  • We contributed to political campaigns and environmental causes
  • We've watched Republicans break laws and be stupid and evil
  • We've watched Democrats claim "well, Republicans will be Republicans"
  • We are not interested in making politics a full time occupation for no pay and few benefits
To paraphrase a W.C. Fields quote: "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll" ... go exploring. Remember, about the only good reason to bang your head on a brick wall is that it feels damn good when you stop.

All Money Is A Matter of Belief



                    Adam Smith
 
Every poet glistens with the dew
of money, but surely only some of them
truly have it. Never enough, wanting to know
what enough felt like, I buy fake versions
of the things I want on credit, my shelves
laden with zirconia, Prada knockoffs, and
pirated Oscar screeners. I’m driven by envy,
and gluttony, the desire to consume better
than anyone else, but the pleasure is only half
of what it should be, and so on until my house
is filled with objects that belong to Chase
and AmEx. I’ve been relentless and I’ve been
lucky, but that’s never been enough.
I’d sell my soul, but there aren’t any takers. 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment