Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Spring songs soon?

We read a report on Twitter sometime within the past couple of days that one or two of the phenologists in Northern Minnesota, up near Grand Rapids?, had heard a chickadee or two beginning to sing a Spring song.  That was encouraging. Finding bright spots in February has became a real challenge. Birds starting to make Spring sounds is a bright spot.


male cardinal on February perch
male cardinal on February perch
Photo by J. Harrington

Even brighter, in a literal sense, are glimpses of male cardinals against a snow-covered background. Looking out at the birds going about their business through February's cold and snow, it's obvious that they are better adapted to surviving outside and I am better adapted to staying inside until February's cold claws loosen their grip. May that day come soon.

In case you're wondering, yes, we have intentionally foregone commenting on the Senate trial or local political happenings. We're unlikely to affect the verdict or any Minnesota legislation and, candidly, although we fully support the goals of several bills we're following, we have some reservations about the means proposed to attain those goals. So, since we can't, for the moment, say much of anything good, we'll say nothing for now and hope we soon get inspired to post our own Spring songs when we're in a more cheery mood.


The Red Bird Explains Himself


“Yes, I was the brilliance floating over snow

And I was the song in the summer leaves, but this was only the first trick

I had hold of among my other mythologies,

For I also knew obedience: bringing sticks to the nest,

Food to the young, kisses to my bride.

But don’t stop there, stay with me: listen.

If I was the song that entered your heart

Then I was the music of your heart, that you wanted and needed,

And thus the wilderness bloomed there, with all its

Followers: gardeners, lovers, people who weep

For the death of rivers.

And this was my true task, to be the

Music of the body.  Do you understand?  For truly the body needs

 A song, a spirit, a soul.  And no less, to make this body work,

The soul has need of a body,

And I am both of the earth and I am of the inexplicable

Beauty of heaven

Where I fly so easily, so welcome, yes,

And this is why I have been sent, to teach this to your heart.”

Mary Oliver



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment