Wednesday, July 7, 2021

What's buggin' us

Cloudy, cool, calm, confusing, considering it's the end of the first week of July and June set record high temperatures throughout the state, country, and world. From what we've noticed so far this summer, poison ivy thrives during  hot, dry spells. Deer flies seem more abundant this July than in years past, but  that could just be a result of repressed memories. Earlier this week I saw someone walking their dog along  a gravel road beside a local pond and they (the walker, not the dog) were actually wearing one of those blue deer fly traps coated with sticky stuff. I probably should have stopped to thank him for thinning out the population. If I were as smart as I like to think I am, I'd actually make one of those traps myself and wear it when I walk the dog(s) at mid-day.

home to ticks and deer flies and ...
home to ticks and deer flies and ...
Photo by J. Harrington

Actually, I've almost made those traps a couple of different years. What usually happens is that, by the time I'm annoyed enough  with the deer flies, it's often late enough in the season that they'll be mostly gone when the supplies would be ordered, delivered and assembled. Plus, I'm not sure where the hat, or hats, would be stored that either the Better Half, or I, or one of the dogs, wouldn't end up with it inadvertently stuck on one or more of us'uns.

We seem to be getting past the worst of the tick season, at least the dogs aren't showing up with quite as many in their ears or crawling on their coats. From what I've read, milder winters and related factors in our North Country are resulting in growing populations. Since we feed the dogs edible heartworm and tick treats once a month, it would be great if some outfit would make a comparable treatment for us humans.

Between the weather and the bugs and other obligations, we haven't reached a point of deciding "too hot, too cold, too wet, too windy, too buggy? TOO BAD! We're going outside for some fresh air." Not yet, but we can see it from here.


Listen to the Deer Tick Sing



I wait for you to come
to brush your shoe against
the blade of grass I'm sitting on
touch me with your hand
as you reach for one last
violet to take home
 
or pick up a worm to place
gracefully in the garden
 
even better if you lie
on a hillside to watch the sunset
or breathe in stars
 
I will feel your warmth, bury
my head next to that freckle
on your calf, that hair
on your forearm, or just behind
the lobe of your left ear
 
I promise not to take too much
blood into my swelling body
 
only what I think I need
 
and I will never
let you know I am here
though I will love you
 
deeply
 


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment