Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Mother’s Day to those deserving it

Happy Mother’s Day to those celebrating, unless they’re members of the Grand Oligarchy Party or of similar ilk that has no respect for women. The Democrats' failure to pass legislation embodying Roe v. Wade despite having several opportunities during the past 50 years makes them a little suspect too. Becoming a mother should be a matter of choice more than chance.

Mother Nature has arranged for drier weather than anticipated today. That’s to the good since we had to do some traveling into The Cities today. What with COVID and other factors, we’ve not been into Minneapolis much over the past two years or so. From lots of what we saw today, despite some changes, we’re not feeling deprived.

a Mother’s Day bouquet
a Mother’s Day bouquet

Thunderstorms are forecast a couple of times later in the week. Maybe one or more of them will provide enough rain to make the newly seeded front yard happy. If not, we’ll water in a few days. Meanwhile, there seems to be enough moisture to support bud burst and the beginnings of leafout throughout the area. Spring has finally settled in. 🤞 This year looks like a banner year for forsythia blossoms, but why isn’t clear. Late, wet spring?

We’re about to head off to the Daughter Person’s and Son-In-Law’s for a Mother’s Day celebration. The daisy bouquet our son gave his mother was a big hit. So far, things are going pretty well. May the rest of the day (week, month, year) go as well.


The Raincoat

 - 1976-


When the doctor suggested surgery
and a brace for all my youngest years,
my parents scrambled to take me
to massage therapy, deep tissue work,
osteopathy, and soon my crooked spine
unspooled a bit, I could breathe again,
and move more in a body unclouded
by pain. My mom would tell me to sing
songs to her the whole forty-five minute
drive to Middle Two Rock Road and forty-
five minutes back from physical therapy.
She’d say, even my voice sounded unfettered
by my spine afterward. So I sang and sang,
because I thought she liked it. I never
asked her what she gave up to drive me,
or how her day was before this chore. Today,
at her age, I was driving myself home from yet
another spine appointment, singing along
to some maudlin but solid song on the radio,
and I saw a mom take her raincoat off
and give it to her young daughter when
a storm took over the afternoon. My god,
I thought, my whole life I’ve been under her
raincoat thinking it was somehow a marvel
that I never got wet.



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment