Monday, September 12, 2022

How crowded might trout streams get?

I’ve been doing a lot of reading recently about the effects of climate change on stream trout. The picture isn’t pretty. One article notes that Montana could lose 35 percent of its trout habitat in less than 60 years. The last time I checked, 60 years is less than the average life span of a typical trout angler. Streams could get pretty crowded if population keeps increasing while places to recreate outdoors keep decreasing. Climate change probably isn’t doing much good for snow skiing resorts either.

Closer to home, Wisconsin has a Fisheries Working Group Report on Climate Change Impacts. It identifies trout habitat losses such as "All three scenarios projected significant losses in habitat suitable for trout, with brook trout losing 44%, 94%, and 100% of current habitat and brown trout losing 8%, 33%, and 88% for the ascending warming scenarios.” The report notes that the models used have several limitations that may result in overstating the impacts.

We note that we’re seeing more and more reports these days that scientists have frequently underestimated the rate at which climate change effects will occur.

National Trout Unlimited has a section of its web site devoted to climate change. Only this morning did I poke enough to discover the Climate Change Resources list of the Climate Change Working Group. In particular, I was fascinated to discover a (slightly dated) paper on Lifestyles and Ethical Values to Sustain Salmon and Ourselves. I’ve just skimmed it so far but intend to read and work through it. You probably want to take a careful look at it if you’ve read this far.

Southeastern Minnesota trout stream
Southeastern Minnesota trout stream
Photo by J. Harrington

If Minnesota has a comprehensive report on climate change’s effects on our stream trout fisheries, I’ve not yet found it. Since the walleye is the official state fish, there’s probably more concern about them being replaced by bass as cool water fisheries warm up. I, on the other hand, will continue to sing


The Song of Wandering Aengus


I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment