Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Approaching October

We have accomplished the only specific goal we set for ourself this week: pumpkins have been acquired and are posted along the driveway. In an abundance of exuberance, we also picked up a couple of handfuls of small gourds for table(?) decorations. The place is beginning to look like autumn, although we’re headed back to summer-like temperatures later this week.

There are three pumpkins so far, two of the traditional round, orange shape and a pale grayish-blueish “decorative” sort of turban shape. One ore more may eventually get carved as a Jack O’Lantern. I think next week we may set a goal of acquiring a stash of Halloween candy, just in case someone shows up at our door in the midst of a blizzard late next month. With a government shutdown all but assured, will the months and seasons progress as usual, or will time be furloughed along with nonessential government workers?

full October moon rising
full October moon rising
Photo by J. Harrington

It’s raining again. We’ve been enjoying light showers off and on all day. I noticed that the creek up the road once more has water where, a week or so ago, there was only mud and a plethora of yellow flowers. The flowers have faded but the water is now bright and shiny. Speaking of shiny, next month’s full moon occurs on October 28, so it will be very close to full for Halloween. That could make for an even more interesting Samhain than a typical thinning of the vails between the worlds.

I think I’ll add another personal goal, to begin a list for the Cailleach to take “the unwanted aspects of our personal year away, so that these too might be transformed.” I wonder if it will include ending a government shutdown and transforming those who caused it.


Sheep to Sweater


Considering the frequency
with which I take people’s words
out of context, lie through my teeth and smear
anyone who doesn’t hew to my philosophy
of division and contempt,
I’d prefer my candidate of choice to stay
on the high road, but there’s a certain element
of fighting fire with dilemmas,
not just for me, but for any candidate.

Is it more important to lose honorably,
or to get into the gutter with your own particularity
when so much is the answer?
I love the pumpkin idea.
I will definitely use that and I also plan
on making the “kielbasa launcher.”
I already have a guacamole rifle
and it’s the same thing, I just need
to figure out how to do it.
If you have ideas for that please help.

Also on the splitting heads thing they
have that hydraulic wrench that
rips the brain chunks out of the
head you can do that so much
easier just get the fishing line attached
to the fragments and then fill 
a two to three liter soda bottle
with sand and throw it in the opposite
direction your life is going.

To see the results of this oscillatory combustion
phenomenon between the acoustics of the
cavity and the pyrolysis of the propellants
which were used in irreproducible ignition
which I never liked much anyway.

I couldn’t decipher myself.
Too bad. I have typed out some abbreviated remains
where my old life used to be, but I’m still
living in them as if they were a book.
I spent the afternoon reveling
and wondering what
I need to do to get my own sheep.
I saw sheep herding and shearing,
admired the baby lambs, and followed
the “from sheep to sweater” interpretive trail.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment