Sunday, December 3, 2023

Christmas is for kids

Yesterday afternoon, the three-year-old Granddaughter did her very first visit to Santa. Reports are, and photos confirm, it went well. This coming Wednesday, she’ll get to enjoy her first meal at a restaurant, to help Mom celebrate a birthday. We weren’t there for the Santa visit but plan to join for the restaurant trip.

Christmas tree up but unadorned
Christmas tree up but unadorned
Photo by J. Harrington

Meanwhile, back at our home front, the tree that had been selected for this year turned out to be too tall. Fortunately, I had had an inspiration to use one of my fly rods [8’ 6”] to estimate how a tree prospect might fit the living room.The selection would have had to be cut at head height and that didn’t seem right. Last year we ended up having to make several trimming cuts and I didn’t want to go through that again this year. Anyhow, another Charlie Brown Christmas tree has come to visit for the holidays. Lights will go on later today and decorations over the next few days.

Yesterday, or the day before, we reported on a flock of birds, alleged by the Better Half [BH] to be cedar waxwings, that descended on the feeder. Today we can, and do, confirm that they are what the BH claimed. A half dozen or so landed around the bird bath while I was looking out the window. In another update, I’m better than halfway through the promised reread of The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse. I’ll finish after this is posted and be more in the spirit of the season.

Mole: What do you want to be when you grow up?....     Kind, said the boy

To be candid, I have to fantasize about the days when I believed in Santa. It was too long ago, and the world too different, to actually remember. I do better remembering when our kids were young believers, and now there’s a Granddaughter whose dreams of Santa need to be sheltered. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

 

When Santa Claus Comes

A good time is coming, I wish it were here,
The very best time in the whole of the year;
I’m counting each day on my fingers and thumbs —
the weeks that must pass before Santa Claus comes.
Then when the first snowflakes begin to come down,
And the wind whistles sharp and the branches are brown,
I’ll not mind the cold, though my fingers it numbs,
For it brings the time nearer when Santa Claus comes.

– unknown



********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment