Saturday, February 15, 2020

Progress, like Spring, comes in stuttering steps

Your mileage may vary, but I'm pretty sure (and the Better Half is positive) I spend too much time and energy these days getting (and staying) upset and perturbed and agitated by one thing or another, mostly having to do with miscreants in power in Washington, D.C.; or the cold and snow and related miseries we're subjected to here in the North Country; or the short-sightedness and/or selfishness of too many people putting immediate gain ahead of long term survival. Fortunately, every once in awhile, I run into some better news that helps me regain a sense of balance and proportion. Yesterday and today that happened.

late Winter driveway
late Winter driveway
Photo by J. Harrington

Today I came across something I must have somehow missed the first time it went around. The St. Croix 360 blog pulled from its archives Getting to know St. Croix River country’s natural neighbors. The online app, iNaturalist, has the St. Croix watershed as a defined "place," with photo observations galore. I've had the iNaturalist app on my "smartphone" for a few years but hadn't done much with it. This discovery my be just the motivation needed to change that.

If you've followed these postings for awhile, you no doubt have noticed I've some firm and strong opinions about mining in Minnesota and rural development in general. Today I read a recent post by Aaron Brown, one of the more enlightened and rational commentators on the Iron Range, that educates the rest of us about The dueling realities of the Iron Range. It concludes:
No, we need not agree about mining policy or politics to make life here better, perhaps better than it’s ever been. But we must agree on reality. And the reality is we must diversify our economy and open the imaginary borders we draw between us and the rest of the world.
what do we need to have both?
what do we need to have both?
Photo by J. Harrington

That seems to me (again, ymmv) to fit nicely with a recent Community Voices piece in MinnPost, written by three leaders in District #11 of the United Steelworkers union (USW). They opine that Minnesota should become the leader in responsible mining. You can guess how pleased I was to see and read that piece, since I've been advocating Minnesota should adopt something like the Initiative for Responsible Mining Assurance [IRMA] standards since back in 2014. The USW piece is the first I'm aware of to support a responsible ming strategy. I've no idea why.

Note to Reality



Without even knowing it, I have 
believed in you for a long time.

When I looked at my blood under a microscope
                I could see truth multiplying over and over.

—Not police sirens, nor history books, not stage-three lymphoma
                                                                                     persuaded me

but your honeycombs and beetles; the dry blond fascicles of grass 
                                                              thrust up above the January snow. 
Your postcards of Picasso and Matisse,
                                         from the museum series on European masters. 

When my friend died on the way to the hospital
                                           it was not his death that so amazed me

but that the driver of the cab 
                                              did not insist upon the fare.

Quotation marks: what should we put inside them? 

Shall I say “I”  “have been hurt” “by”  “you,”  you neglectful monster?

I speak now because experience has shown me
                                 that my mind will never be clear for long.

I am more thick-skinned and male, more selfish, jealous, and afraid
                                   than ever in my life.

“For my heart is tangled in thy nets;
                              my soul enmeshed in cataracts of time...”

The breeze so cool today, the sky smeared with bluish grays and whites.

The parade for the slain police officer
goes past the bakery

and the smell of fresh bread 
makes the mourners salivate against their will.


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment