Saturday, April 18, 2020

A "social distancing" clarification

Yesterday I received an email from the Office of Governor Tim Walz with an update on COVID-19 preparation and response. At least part of it leaves me confused and perturbed. In part the email states:
Executive Order 20-38 allows Minnesotans to engage in a range of activities, including boating, fishing, hunting, hiking, and golfing as long as they follow new outdoor recreation guidelines. These guidelines include:
  • Maintaining 6-foot social distancing
  • Avoiding crowded areas, and
  • Staying close to home
this Northern Minnesota trout stream is more than half a day's drive
this Northern Minnesota trout stream is more than half a day's drive
Photo by J. Harrington

I don't know what "Staying close to home" means in this context. One of the outdoor activities I enjoy  is fly-fishing for trout. The closest trout streams I'm familiar with are in the state to the East. I have no idea what the Wisconsin COVID-19 guidelines cover. I do know that the WI streams are much closer to my home than the Minnesota streams to my South or North.

The initial stay at home order stated:
Individuals may travel to exempted activities and may travel to return to a home or place of residence. Individuals may also travel into and out of Minnesota. 
No help there on what "close to home" means. In fact, the word "close" isn't in the order at all. The Extension does include the phrase "close to home" without any further specification on what that means. I suppose I'm now faced with the question of whether a trout fishing trip can be considered essential. If we get some warm, sunny, relatively calm Spring days after our long, dreary Winter and COVID-19 trashed Spring, the answer may rapidly become yes, just as on occasion, before I retired, I needed an occasional mental health day under similar circumstances. Thanks, Governor Walz for the loophole for the  angling folks.

Speckled Trout



By Ron Rash



Water-flesh gleamed like mica: 
orange fins, red flankspots, a char 
shy as ginseng, found only 
in spring-flow gaps, the thin clear 
of faraway creeks no map 
could name. My cousin showed me 
those hidden places. I loved 
how we found them, the way we 
followed no trail, just stream-sound 
tangled in rhododendron, 
to where slow water opened 
a hole to slip a line in, 
and lift as from a well bright 
shadows of another world, 
held in my hand, their color 
already starting to fade.

********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment