Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Earth Week: Day 4, #EARTHDAY2020

While walking my dog, SiSi, a bit ago, we, or at least I, enjoy some nice Earth Day surprises. First came the sound of sandhill cranes passing overhead. Then, a minute or two later, I noticed a small flock of turkeys sneaking through the back corner of our property. (SiSi isn't tall enough to see over the low ridge intervening between the road and the back corner.) Today's Spring breeze still has a nip to it but conditions are moving in an improved direction.

The beach plum plants are now back to living on the deck. If it looks like we're going to get a hard freeze or measurable snow storm I'll bring them inside. Local rule of thumb is don't plant frost-damage-susceptible plants before mid-May.


We wish each and every one of you, those close to you, plus those you care about, an Earth Day full of health, happiness and the peace of wild things, and may you and yours enjoy them at least until the next  time Earth Day comes around. Don't forget to do something nice for our Mother every day.

wood duck drake and hen
wood duck drake and hen
Photo by J. Harrington

“The Peace of Wild Things”


 


When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

great blue heron
great blue heron
Photo by J. Harrington


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment