Monday, June 29, 2020

Any nest in a storm?

I don't want to name names, but someone in this household is afraid of thunder. It makes her very nervous. She seeks security and reassurance with lots of petting and snuggling. This didn't used to be an issue. It's not clear what happened to turn a blondish, yellow lab cross-breed into a scaredy cat. (Ssshhh, don't tell her I said wrote that!) She thought that maybe an early breakfast at 2:30ish am followed by a walk might help her settle down. We had a break in the rain so we tried that. It worked for awhile, until the next round of lightning and thunder rolled through. I am not responsible of any typos that may pop up in today's posting. I thought I'd foregone sleep deprivation when the youngest child started school those many years ago. I was overly optimistic (me? 😉).

what makes you think I'm afraid of a little thunder?
what makes you think I'm afraid of a little thunder?
Photo by J. Harrington

At least we didn't get the five inches or so that flooded several counties South of us, but the "wet spot" in the back yard is once again showing water. It had shrunk to a layer of mud during the past few weeks. The low spot in the driveway is once again a puddle. Birds frequently use it to take a bath. I suspect, from the news and weather reports this morning, the trout streams we were planning on fishing thus week may not be in prime condition, so we'll save them for another time.

a bluebird egg in an abandoned nest
a bluebird egg in an abandoned nest
Photo by J. Harrington

Before the storms arrive last night, I saw what I think was a bluebird perched on top of the reinstalled bluebird house. It may be that the plan to provide a potential home for a second brood this Summer might pay off. Once before we managed a picture of a bluebird egg that had failed to hatch, so we have a decent idea of what bluebird eggs look like. I'll slog out this afternoon and report back tomorrow if the hordes of deer flies don't grab me and drag me off into the woods.

We hope you remain warm, dry, and virus-free and that your house isn't in one of the recently identified flood-prone areas that our new, more volatile weather patterns are helping us discover.

Egg



We are in the position of defining myth by the shape of its absence.
-Sean Kane, Wisdom of the Mythtellers

The bluebird's cold mistimed egg
fetched up from the one-legged
box after the pair had left for
points south & unknown (never,
as it turned out, to return) I
renested in the half-geode by
the windowsill where it gleamed
&, months becoming years, seemed
about to last forever, grow more
consistent with itself, holding its pure
blue firmament up over what by now
was nothing, till one January day, snow
melting to a fast flood,
I blew it softly onto my palm so I could
hold its cerulean up against new sky,
home against home, where it lay
weightless & delicate as the Xmas ornament
we'd just put away, but when I went
to roll it gently back onto its bed,
& leave it there, I saw a thread,
a crack, another, watched it sink in
slowly on itself, shard on shard collapsing
from my touch & breath, relaxing
into the shape of its absence


********************************************
Thanks for visiting. Come again when you can.
Please be kind to each other while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment